DETAILS FOR INTRODUCTION TO ACADEMIC WRITING AND RESEARCH
- Currently offered by Alphacrucis: Yes
- Course code: RES101
- Credit points: 10
Awards offering Introduction to Academic Writing and Research
This unit is offered as a part of the following awards:
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Bachelor of Ministry
This subjects aims to foster the academic skills required for undergraduate student success.
Students should be able to:
- Identify and foster the skills required for academic studies;
- Compare different learning styles and the best techniques to harness these for academic success;
- Demonstrate skills in thinking critically and creatively;
- Perform academic writing, including demonstration of the ability to sustain a logical researched argument in a piece of writing;
- Illustrate competence in a variety of academic referencing styles;
- Demonstrate proficiency in academic research, including the reading and identification of different genres;
- Demonstrate skills for good oral communication.
- Reflective Learning Journal 20% (1000 words);
- Sample Writing Pieces 40% (2500 words accumulative);
- Online/In-class quizzes/Activities 30%;
- Oral Presentation 10% (3 mins plus 500 words evaluation summary)
- Primary readings provided
- Grellier, J. & Goerke, V. Communication Skills Toolkit: Unlocking the Secrets of Tertiary Success. South Melbourne: Thomson/Social Science Press, 2006.